"I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings"

From “I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings” by Maya Angelou 

I chose to write about 2 quotes from the first excerpt where Maya's grandmother has a moment of strength.


“I wanted to beg her, “Momma, don't wait for them. Come on inside with me, if they come in the store you go to the bedroom and let me wait on them. They only frighten me if you're around. Alone I know how to handle them.” But of course I couldn't say anything, so I went in and stood behind the screen door.” (Angelou, 43)


This quote shows how much Maya cares about her grandmother. She mentions how she feels differently when the white children are there and her grandmother is with her. Maya feels confident in dealing with them when she's alone but when she is with her grandmother she doesn't know how to act. All she wants to do is protect her grandmother so that she doesn't get hurt. Maya wants to tell her grandmother to come inside of the store so that she won't see the white children but she can't because her grandmother has seniority over her. Maya is in a battle between following the family hierarchy while also trying to keep her family safe. 


“How could Momma call them Miz? The mean nasty things. Why couldn't she have come inside the sweet, cool store when we saw them breasting the hill? What did she prove? And then if they were dirty, mean and impudent, why did Momma have to call them Miz?” (Angelou, 45)


This quote shows Maya’s grandmother's personality and character. The white children are saying mean things and mocking her grandmother and instead of saying something mean back to them, she says their names with a sign of respect. It's easy to act how others act towards, but it takes much more courage and strength to be a better person. Her grandmother did not have to be polite in this situation, but Maya’s grandmother is a good person, which is one of the reasons why Maya looks up to her. 


Words: 348

Comments

  1. I really like how you focused on the perspective of the grandmother instead of Maya. I think the strength that "Mama" showed throughout this whole story is incredible. I agree that it seemed as though Maya was having this internal battle between helping her grandmother and respecting her grandmother. I think that this is something that some people still deal with today and certain scenarios that should be talked about more. I think the grandmother was trying to set an example for Maya so that when she got older she would know how to not react.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment