"Diary"

I chose to write about 2 quotes from Anne Frank’s diary and her letters to “Kitty.”

“Only one washing cubicle for a hundred people and not nearly enough lavatories. There is no separate accommodations. Men, women, and children all sleep together. One hears of frightful immorality because of this; and a lot of the women, and even girls, who stay there any length of time are expecting babies. It is impossible to escape; most of the people in the camp are branded as inmates and their shaven head and many also by their Jewish appearance.” (Frank, 280)


“I cling to Daddy because it is only through him that I am able to retain the remnant of family feeling. Daddy doesn't understand that I need to give vent to my feelings over Mummy sometimes. He doesn't want to talk about it; he simply avoids anything which might lead to remarks about Mummy’s failings. Just the same, Mummy and her failings are something I find harder to bear than anything else. I don't know how to keep it all to myself. I can’t always be drawing attention to her untidiness, her sarcasm, her lack of sweetness, neither can I believe that I’m always in the wrong.” (Frank, 284-285)


The first quote describes how horrible the camps were that Anne Frank was hiding from. At this point she had not been sent to the camp and was in hiding along with other people. She was constantly hearing stories about what was happening around her as people she knew were benign sent away. The conditions of the camp were horrible. Along with all of the torture that they had to endure, like brandings and beatings, there was simply not enough room for people to live. 


The second quote describes Anne’s relationship with her mother and father. She got along with her father pretty well, but did not see eye to eye with her mother. Her father did not understand why Anne and her mother did not always get along. This must have been really hard for her, especially because she was locked away with her mother and could never take a break from her “her sarcasm” or “lack of sweetness.” 


Word Count: 367

Comments

  1. It had to have been so scaring for her to experience this, because as you mentioned she was hearing about what was going on from her family's friend that was bringing them food. She was hearing about all of the awful things that were occurring outside and around them. As a young girl this could not have been easy to cope with. I think because her and her mother butted heads so often, for this reason, she turned to her diary almost as another people that she could confide in. She treated her diary as a human almost and even worded her diary entries as letters instead of how a diary would typically be perceived.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment