"The World I See"
From The Hellen Keller Documentary “The World I See”
I had learned about Hellen Keller before in elementary school and high school, and again now, and I am amazed every time. She accomplished so much in her life, not just with one disability, but with two. She was able to read, write and speak, all without ever seeing or hearing words. She was also able to accomplish many physical activities such as swimming and horseback riding. She was even able to go to school and graduate college. When Hellen Keller was alive, life was a lot harder for people with disabilities because daily activities were less accessible for them. As the documentary said, Helen Keller is responsible for some of that change. She pushed for change, not just for herself, but for the deaf and blind community as a whole. I don’t think the disabled world would be as accessible if it wasn't for her fighting for what she believed in. Hellen Keller showed the world that anyone can do anything as long as they put their minds to it and was an inspiration to so many people throughout her life, and even after it. The documentary was interesting to watch because I was able to see what she was able to accomplish rather than just reading or hearing about it. The part where Anne showed how Hellen learned to speak was very interesting and eye opening. She is truly one of the most inspiring and motivating people ever.
Word Count: 252
I like how you brought up that fact that she has helped so many other people who are disabled realize that they are just as capable as anyone else. Keller proved it in so many ways, by graduating with a Bachelor of Arts, learning to swim, as you mentioned, and so much more. The people she surrounded herself with were so important in her growth in this aspect as well. The way her teachers found what works best for her to learn was amazing. Keller was able to know what people were saying just based off the way their lips moved and throat vibrated. It truly was remarkable.
ReplyDelete